Deaf Action have been working in partnership with deafPLUS to launch Advice Line for Scotland.
What is Advice Line?
Advice Line is a FREE to use service for anyone who is deaf* to get advice on a range of topics from a trained advisor who is a native BSL & ISL user.
These topics include:
- General advice: Explaining services, correspondence and forms
- Welfare/benefits: Checking benefit eligibility, applying, querying and challenging decisions
- Housing: Applying for social housing/homelessness, challenging banding, landlord disputes
- Debt and money advice: Prioritising debts, negotiating with creditors, budgeting support
- Employment, education and training: Pay dispute, statutory entitlements, dismissal
- Health and social care/independent living: Travel concessions, accessibility/aids and adaptations, applying for grants and food vouchers
- Consumer: Refunds for services/purchased goods, switching broadband/energy providers
- Personal: Family disputes, hate crime
- Specialist legal: Referrals for legal. For immigration help, signposting only
Clients will be supported with referrals and/or signposting to other organisations who can provide more specialist support or help with issues outside of our remit.
What do I need to access an appointment?
This is an online service where you have a face to face chat with the advisor. You can use Skype, Facetime or Zoom, whatever is best for you. You need a device (smartphone, tablet or laptop) with a webcam and a stable internet connection.
When can I get an appointment?
Appointments are available for Scottish residents Monday and Tuesday 10:00am - 1:00pm.
Do I have to pay?
No, this service is FREE
Do you have to be a Deaf BSL user to access this service?
No, this service is for anyone who is Deaf or has a hearing loss. Interpreters can be provided for anyone who uses spoken language.
How do I book an appointment to speak to the advisor?
Please see https://www.deafaction.org/services/advice-line to make an appointment:
For more information, or for support booking an appointment contact Toni George