MYDG is a voluntary youth organisation based in Muirhouse, Edinburgh, an area of high unemployment, low educational achievement and social exclusion. MYDG works with young people aged 8 - 25 years around sports and outdoor activities as well as issue based work. We run open provision, drop ins, groups for girls, sports clubs, volunteering courses and training, residentials as well as acting as a feeder into our social enterprise/trading arm.
What MYDG stands for is exactly what its initials signify – for youth, for their development, through being an ongoing, open, outwardly-facing group, rooted in the community of Muirhouse and its adjacent areas of North Edinburgh. Fundamental to MYDG is the building and maintaining of relationships with young people, as they grow up in Muirhouse.
The result of the standing of MYDG within its community is that young people within MYDG feel respected and included, and their journey to adulthood is supported, filled with opportunities, worthwhile experiences and good memories. It is not surprising that they are then willing and able to give something of themselves to support others.
Pride, humanity, aspirations and expanding horizons are big words for a small organisation in a less-than-perfect corner of a large city! Nonetheless they are what is aimed for in the lives of young people who come to be a part of MYDG.
Our impact on the community
As a result of MYDG's activities we:
- Increase young peoples self-worth, sense of self, sense of belonging to a positive community and improve their mental health and development.
- Raise young people's awareness of their potential, their skills, abilities and rights.
- Help young people learn through outdoor and physical activity to participate in a group, contribute positively to their community and build positive relationships with peers, family and community leaders and youth workers.
Alongside our weekly programme. MYDG covers the following areas of youth work practice:
- Drop-in youth clubs
- 1-1 work
- Group work in schools
- Exchange trips
- Outdoor educational activities with our social enterprise ‘My Adventure’
- Annual events such as our ‘Youth Work Games’ event at Loch Tay
We also have a girls group and a Saltire Awards group.