- Easy to access environmental grant scheme for Scotland
- Supported by Scottish Natural Heritage
Volunteering Matters Action Earth empowers people in Scotland to take action and improve their local environment through volunteering.
Any group of volunteers can apply for Volunteering Matters Action Earth grants of between £50-250 to run environmental activities in Scotland’s green spaces. This could include creating or improving community gardens, wildflower meadows, ponds or woodlands.
Local Nature Reserve (LNR) grants of up to £500 are also available for volunteer activities taking place on LNRs such as wildlife recording or protecting and enhancing biodiversity.
This year half of our grants will go to activities in Scotland’s most deprived areas.
We will prioritise applications from volunteer groups who do any of the following:
• Work in areas where there is substantial social or economic deprivation
• Improve and develop the health and wellbeing of their local community
• Involve disabled people, vulnerable people or those at risk of exclusion
• Encourage and involve people under 26 in practical outdoor conservation
We will also consider applications that make a major environmental impact or involve mass participation.
Action Earth is supported by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).
Looking for some inspiration for your project? Take a look at our Action Earth ideas and links page at https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/action-earth-ideas-and-links.
WHAT TYPE OF ACTIVITIES QUALITY FOR A GRANT?
- Project must involve practical outdoor activity in Scotland
- Make improvements to local green spaces – planting projects, wildlife habitat creation etc.
- At least 15 volunteers must be involved, giving a minimum of 5 hours each
- Sites to be worked on must be accessible to the general public
- Plants, tools, materials and volunteers expenses can be claimed
WE ARE NOT ABLE TO FUND:
Fuel costs, staff time or wages, accommodation, cameras, or large pieces of equipment (lawnmowers, power tools etc.). We cannot fund projects which involve pupils on school grounds during school hours.
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
Projects pay costs upfront and then claim back from us by sending in receipts, feedback forms and a grant claim form within 4 weeks of your project end date. We will then repay the money into your group’s bank account.
We’re here to help and can offer help and advice throughout the application process. We can also assist successful applicants with local press releases and advice on how to promote and develop your project.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Register by completing the submission form at https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/project/action-earth. We will then email you a link to the grant application form. Please make sure you supply two contact names, that site permission is granted and that you have read and agree to our terms and conditions. We will then email you a copy of your completed application.
What happens if I’m successful?
Successful applicants will be sent an email with a letter showing the unique reference number which you can use throughout the process. We will send you all the information you need including a media guide and promotional material. We have a limited number of grants. You must let us know immediately if your project has been changed, delayed or cancelled as we can reallocate unused funds to other projects.
REGISTER FOR AN ACTION EARTH GRANTS FORM at https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/project/action-earth.