Movement for Memories is designed to support people living with early, early on-set and mild to moderate dementia to be active. With various activities, including swimming, the gym, golf, tennis and fitness classes there is something for everyone.
This work is supported with funding from the Life Changes Trust. The Trust is funded by the Big Lottery.
How we will help people with dementia be active...
If you are referred to Movement for Memories, our Active Communities team will help you identify your interests and provide the appropriate support you need to get active.
We offer a Dementia Friendly Buddy Service, delivered by volunteers; supporting you to access a range of activities more confidently. For example, they might meet you at reception to show you where to go; they may help you set up gym equipment or support you round the golf course.
All Movement for Memories participants will receive an Edinburgh Leisure Get Active card providing 12-weeks free access to gym, swim, golf, tennis and fitness classes followed by 9 months of concessionary access.
Once we receive your referral a member of the Active Communities team will contact you.
Whilst not every person diagnosed with dementia requires a carer, we understand that some people do need additional care and support. Edinburgh Leisure welcomes carers to come along for free in a supporting role. To read our Carer Guide and register as a carer please visit: https://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/activities/disability.
Do you look after a friend or family member with Dementia?
If you do - it is really important for you to find time to focus on your own health and wellbeing outside of your caring role.
Physical activity has been shown to help carers deal with stress; making you feel better and more able to cope with life demands.
Anyone currently caring for someone with dementia in an unpaid capacity can make a self-referral to Movement for Memories and they will receive their own Edinburgh Leisure Get Active card which will allow access to Edinburgh Leisure’s gym, swim and fitness classes at a discounted cost before 4pm for a period of 12 months.
Being referred onto the programme for individuals and carers:
You can be referred to the Movement for Memories programme in 3 ways:
1) Self Refer yourself or a family member/friend
2) By a health professional (GP, OT, Physio etc.)
3) By a dementia link worker
Once referred, the Edinburgh Leisure team offers one-to-one support, using motivational interviewing techniques to determine individual needs, interest and abilities to provide a tailored physical activity solution from our range of services:
1. Support to access Dementia Friendly activities e.g. swimming, the gym, golf, tennis and fitness classes:
- An access card for 12 free sessions. Carers will be able to attend free of charge when accompanying participants.
- A Dementia Friendly Buddy Service, where volunteers provide support to enable people with dementia and their carers to confidently access services.
2. Access to dementia friendly health and physical activity classes. These classes provide gentler ways to get moving and offer the services of trained dementia volunteers who provide additional support to attendees. These include:
- Older adult classes e.g. walking, dancing, allotment gardening, new age curling.
- Walking football.
- Low level multi-condition classes (seated exercise and low level circuits).
- Supported 1-2-1 gym sessions.
It’s important that carers remain physically active to protect their health and wellbeing, so they can cope with the demands of caring for someone with dementia. Support includes:
- An EL access card for 12 free sessions for personal use.
- Discounted access to swimming and the gym whilst the person they care for is taking part in supported activity sessions.
- Vouchers for tea and coffee whilst the person they care for is taking part in a supported activity session.
- Two-for-One passes to enable carers to get active with a friend.
For further information on Movement for Memories, to refer yourself or someone you know or to apply for a Movement for Memories Carer card please contact a member of our Active Communities team on:
T: 0131 458 2260 / E: email@example.com