Girls’ Brigade will start back in September, initially with virtual meetings and we’ll review the situation at regular intervals according to GB Scotland guidance in order to give our girls and leaders the best and safest experience. We can still welcome new members. Message us on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Normal service details...
The Girls' Brigade is a Christian uniformed organisation providing activities to help girls attain educational, physical, mental and spiritual maturity, with the motto: "Seek, Serve and Follow Christ"
Girls' Brigade is a Christian organisation and part of each meeting involves Bible story time and worship. We also do loads of games and crafts. We do lots of other things too like singing, baking, helping other people and learning about our world.
The 11th Edinburgh and Lothians Girls' Brigade company meets on Tuesday evenings during term time in the Church Hall.
Girls meet together each week as a group to work through a programme of activities suited to their age and ability.
This is the most senior section in GB. Brigaders get a say in choosing what they want to do at GB. Brigader girls like catching up with friends at GB, and getting away from coursework, mock exams, parents, siblings, clothes, make-up..and boys! Lifelong friends are made in GB, which gives girls an opportunity to chat about their concerns with friends and leaders who are really interested. GB is a safe place for girls to be girls with no pressure on looks, ability, background etc.
Activities may differ from company to company but here's the kind of thing many Brigaders get involved in at GB:
- Discover the relevance of God and His word, the Bible, through modern relevant, interactive Bible - teaching
- Hang out with friends away from school, parents, boys, exams, course work
- Develop leadership skills - help with the younger sections
- Body image issues, developing self esteem and knowing about keeping fit, healthy eating and feeling good
- Camp and outdoor pursuits, including The Duke of Edinburgh's Award;
- Environmental projects, community service, home and overseas missions;
- Practical life skills ie. DIY, first aid, cooking, car maintenance etc
- Arts and craft
- Football, volleyball, netball, badminton, unihoc, swimming, running, gymnastics etc
- Modern dance, drama and performance skills.
Girls in the Brigader section work towards attaining their Brigader Brooch. The Brigader Brooch is attained after a minimum of three years, after a girl has been awarded her three Brigader Triangles.
In Girls' Brigade we wear uniform because it enables equality and promotes a sense of belonging - all the girls look the same irrespective of background.
The other sections meet at the same time so that they can share common elements of the programme, such as games, crafts, devotions, etc. The rest of the evening is spent following a syllabus of spiritual, physical, educational and service subjects.
From time to time, special events and competitions are organised for the companies in Edinburgh Division or in Scotland.
Why not visit us and see if GB is the organisation for you! Come along, and bring your friends to help us grow GB in Scotland.
Time: 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Age: S1 - S6
To register, please see https://www.girls-brigade-scotland.org.uk/gbcompanies/11th-edinburgh-lothians.
Please contact Captain Judith Walker for more information.