Buddies & Patient Support…
ELPCSG, among its broader aims, seeks to link (or “Buddy”) newly diagnosed men with prostate cancer, or men who are new to the Group, with ELPCSG members who have:
1) Experienced a similar pathway to theirs, or
2) Have had a similar treatment regime to the one they are considering, or
3) Otherwise want to discuss their prostate cancer with another man who has experienced PC.
This “buddying” might take place at ELPCSG group meetings or separately and individually. ELPCSG members are willing to be called or emailed to talk to those diagnosed or newly diagnosed and can provide their own objective patient experience which hopefully will help, particularly to those faced with making an INFORMED CHOICE of treatment.
Buddies are available who have had surgery, radiotherapy (both direct beam and brachytherapy) and also some who have advanced prostate cancer and secondaries. With regard to surgery, we have Buddies who have had open surgery and also laparoscopic. Buddies who have had treatments as early as this year and also going back as much as 10 years are available.
What to expect when you request a Buddy:
1) Caller telephones in on 07933 260 066 (or emails)
2) ELPCSG respond and take down Caller contact information and select a suitable Buddy (or Buddies) with similar experience of prostate cancer to that of the Caller.
3) ELPCSG provide Caller with information for Buddy(s) contact.
4) Caller is invited to attend ELPCSG meetings in Edinburgh and / or West Lothian.
5) Caller is informed of ELPCSG web site and added to mailing list.
To Contact a Buddy telephone our support line (07933 260 066) or email us on email@example.com.
Want to be a Buddy?
If you feel you could be a “Buddy” and speak very occasionally to other men objectively and sensitively about your experiences then email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our support number.
We offer half day training courses delivered free of charge by Maggies. Email email@example.com for information on dates of next course.
We are interested also to hear of your story if you feel it would be useful to others. We are building up a bank of stories as a support tool.