Connecting families with nature, our Nature Connection promotes and develops positive health and wellbeing. Sharing what's abundant in our own lives and marvelling at the richness of life that the Earth shares with us, in all it's varied forms.
Suitable for families with children age 1 to 12 yrs old.
"Caring about people, caring about our planet"
Based on renowned world movement "Art of Mentoring"
Facilitators: Adele Clark and Dhyana Huggins / Coordinator: Claudia Goncalves / Volunteer: Steward Keith
1pm - Project mini bus leaves from our Centre in Portobbelo at 12:45pm, 2nd point of collection is Dr Bells Family Centre in Leith at 1pm, arrives in Balerno at 2pm.
1:45pm - Pick up at bus terminus in Balerno if you are coming by bus 44 or 44A or by car.
2pm - Vegetarian soup & bread provided. You are welcome to bring extra snack for your family if you would like to.
2:30pm to 4:30pm - Nature Connection activities for families including games.
4:30pm to 5:30pm - Two specialised activity which can be: storytelling, bee talk, mindfullness in nature, teaching safe fire lighting, various games, nature awareness, art, music, etc.
5:30pm to 6pm - Sharing and closing circle.
Each day we will offer 2 of the following activities:
- Storytelling: Entering the magic and wonder of stories
- Bees: Talk about the importance of the bees and see how we can help these extraordinary beings. We will plant wild flowers, do some bee games and visit the Planetary Healing community bee hive.
- Mindfullness in Nature: Sitting still or walking in nature to relax, unwind and re-vitalise.
- Games: Play games in nature to help us hone the skills of seeing what's actually in front of us and fully connect with nature with fun, laughter and real joy.
- Exploring the wild: Exploring the area to see what amazing resources there are here: nature`s first aid kits, food, herbs, beauty and wonder etc.
- Art and Clowning in Nature: Developing our creative self in nature
- Trust walks: Gently introduce our family and friends to the wonders we see around us.
- Tending the wild: How can we look after the woodland and it's resources, encourage more wildlife and diversity.
- Planting: Plant potatoes, vegetables, herbs and wild flowers for the bees.
- Nature therapy: bask in some warmth and ease whist being held by nature. An amazing therapy to have.
- Fire Making skills: learn how to make safe fires and afterwards leave the environment as we found it.
We hope the above gives you a little flavour of the themes and lets see how creative we can get with them. We will be flexible with times as we understand that working with chidlren requires flexibility. Please talk to us if you have any special requirement.
Booking and what to bring...
Booking is essential. Please text us to reserve your place: 07504 438 763 and also send us the booking form which you can download from http://www.planetary-healing.org/woodlandproject.html.
Parents are responsible for their children at all times.
Vegetarian soup and bread will be served on your arrival. You are very welcome to bring any other extra snack for yourself and your family.
Please bring a spare set of clothes for your child if they would like to play in the stream. The stream is a great source of fun for the children and the adults.
Suggested donation per family per day: £20 / £15 / £12 / £10 (high, medium, low income, benefits)
Children accompanied by parents or guardians have a free space.
Please talk to us if further assistance with finances is needed.
Coming by bus: take bus 44 or 44A to Balerno
We will also do pick ups at the bus terminus in Balerno at 1:45pm.
If you prefer to walk, we are 15 minutes walking outside Balerno Village if you take bus 44A or 30 minutes walking if you take bus 44. Please call for more details: 075 0443 8763.
Mini bus coming from Portobello and Leith...
If you don't drive and public transport is difficult for your family, we offer a mini bus coming from Portobello and Leith. Please contact Claudia on 07504 438 763 to reserve a place and for further information.
Mini Bus and Booking...
- If you are coming from Planetary Healing Centre: please reserve space with Claudia on 07504 438 763.
- If you are coming from Dr Bells Centre in Leith: please reserve space with Dr Bells coordinator.
- If you are coming from YMCA please reserve space with YMCA coordinator.
We look forward to sharing a wonderful Nature Connection experience with you!