What is a Timebank?
Timebanking enables members of a community to help each other by doing small jobs, favours or tasks.Timebanking works on the principle that everyone has some talent, skill, hobby or interest that would be useful to another person. For every hour you give, you will receive an hour’s credit that you can then redeem when you need something in return. If necessary we can arrange for a group of timebankers to work together to tackle a bigger job!
The community as a whole benefits from more personal ties between people who otherwise would never meet due to differences in age or social circumstance.
You give - a few hours of your spare time when you want, doing the things you enjoy.
You receive - the opportunity to get some help for yourself when you need it.
What are the benefits?
- Meeting new people and making community connections and new friends
- Helping others in a way that fits easily into your lifestyle
- Having the freedom to do as much or as little as you like
- Using and developing your knowledge, skills and experience
- Gaining satisfaction from making quality of life better for someone else
- Gaining satisfaction from your positive contribution to your neighbourhood
- Getting credits for the volunteer work you already do outside of the timebank
How does it work?
When you join the timebank we will open an online exchange account for you. You will be able to see what is being offered, make your own requests and contact other members to arrange an exchange of service. After an exchange you will be able to record the time you have earned, and see a statement of your balance. If you have difficulty managing your online account yourself, you can use the Offers & Requests page at http://www.portobellotimebank.co.uk/offers-requests/4592360335 to ask a timebroker to do it on your behalf.