Funded by Heart Research UK and Sports Relief, ‘Beat the Heart’ is a project working with the Sunshine Sisters Youth Group from the Muslim Womens Association of Edinburgh. Beat the Heart aims to break down cultural barriers which Muslim girls aged 11-18 years face when accessing physical activity.
Working in partnership with Edinburgh Leisure the project aims to provide opportunities for the girls to be more physically active, more often. We also provide a series of workshops which will teach the girls taking part about how to maintain a healthy heart as they grow up. The project takes a family approach to increasing physical activity and awareness of a healthy diet so that any lifestyle change is easily embraced.
Over one year the Beat the Heart project will work with the Sunshine Sisters to deliver a variety of activities including:
- Mountain Biking.
- Climbing and Aerial Assault.
- 20 fitness classes at Meadowbank Sports Centre, including 5 specific fitness mother and daughter sessions
- 6 yoga classes.
- A one-day Sports Leader Course.
- An eight-week health and wellbeing course.
- A mother and daughter healthy diet workshop.
For further information, please get in touch for a chat.