Deaf Awareness Training...
We have designed all of our Deaf Awareness courses so that you leave with improved communication skills, a greater understanding of the barriers and issues that deaf* people face in their every day lives, how to ensure that your organisation is fulfilling it’s legal responsibilities and how to make your services as accessible as possible to the 1 in 5 people living in Scotland who are deaf.
There are many reasons why people attend our Deaf Awareness Courses:
- They contribute to improved accessibility for deaf people
- They increase staff confidence and enhance communication with deaf customers and colleagues
- They provide equal opportunities for deaf employees
We only use qualified and experienced deaf or hard of hearing tutors for all of our deaf awareness courses and have produced a booklet for attendees to take home and keep as a reference guide.
All of our Deaf Awareness courses are interactive with group work, engaging role plays and a relaxed, informal environment that encourages learning, questions and an open attitude!
Our 2 day course is accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and qualifies for ILA Scotland funding.
SQA 2-day Deaf Awareness Course...
Available in the following locations: Edinburgh
Our 2-day SQA accredited course is designed to cover a broad range of topics at a comfortable pace.
This course will help to ensure you are making your services more accessible to the 1 in 5 people living in Scotland who are deaf*. You will cover the full spectrum of deafness from mild hearing loss to fully Deaf BSL users as well as communication styles, equipment for deaf people, deafness in the workplace and working with Language Service Professionals.
This course is ideal for CPD (continued personal development). You will receive a SQA NC Unit upon completion of this course.
You don’t need any prior experience or knowledge to join this course.
- Topics covered include (but not exclusive to): hard of hearing awareness, communication strategies, hearing aids, tinnitus, specialist equipment, lipreading, BSL awareness, what is British Sign Language, Deafblind awareness, working with interpreters and an introduction to deaf culture.
- 14 hours of tuition delivered over 2 days (the days are one week apart)
- All Course Materials
- All exam costs, including reassessment dates if needed
Please note that lunch is not provided but kitchen facilities available and many shops/cafes/takeaways on Broughton Street (approx 2 minute walk)
This course costs £130.00
This includes all course fees and SQA registration. A £50 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place on the course. This course is eligible for ILA funding.
Next course: tbc
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm (both days)
Course length: 2 days
Venue: Deaf Action, 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
*Please note that we need a minimum of 5 delegates confirmed to run this course. If we have to cancel the course due to lack of uptake your deposit will be refunded.
Application forms available at http://www.deafaction.org/our_services/sqa-2-day-deaf-awareness-course.
Completed forms to be emailed to Lauren McAnna, Training & Quality Management Officer firstname.lastname@example.org.
Half day, full day and bespoke Deaf Awareness Training
Our half day (3 hour) Deaf Awareness Courses focus on either hard of hearing/deafened awareness or British Sign Language user awareness.
Depending on the needs of your company or organisation you may prefer one or the other. If you feel that both sessions would benefit you, we also offer a 1 day Deaf Awareness course which covers both topics.
Half day course - Hard of hearing / Deafened Awareness...
This three hour course is designed to give you an in-depth insight into what it is like to live with a hearing loss and how you can ensure that your hard of hearing clients or colleagues have the best experience with your organisation.
You will cover topics including (but not exclusive to):
- Types of deafness & their consequences
- Causes & symptoms of deafness including Ménière’s disease, glue ear & tinnitus
- How we hear
- Living with a hearing loss
- Communication tactics & strategies
- Is lipreading easy & how is it done?
- Hearing aids and assistive equipment for hard of hearing people
- Half day course – British Sign Language awareness
This three hour course is designed to give you a better understanding of what British Sign Language is, the people who use it as their first language and deaf cultural norms. At the end of this session you will feel a lot more confident in your ability to provide a high quality and welcoming service to your deaf clients.
You will cover topics including (but not exclusive to):
- What is BSL?
- Deaf BSL users, deaf community and culture
- Barriers to access and how to break them down
- Communication tactics
- Written communication – pros and cons
- Advances in technology and how this has impacted on the BSL community
- Basic BSL and fingerspelling
Bespoke Deaf Awareness Courses...
If you would like to attend a Deaf Awareness course tailored to your work we are happy to create a course for your organisation.
We can offer courses of varying length to fit in with protected learning time, lunch breaks or in-service days and can tailor the content to your specific work environment.
We have delivered various awareness courses to organisations including Stevenson College, Scottish Parliament, Royal Mail, several Local Authorities and Lothian and Borders Police (Now part of Police Scotland).
To discuss a bespoke course please contact Lauren McAnna - Training and Development Co-ordinator.
The cost for these courses is dependent on number of delegates, length and location. If you are interested in getting a quote for one of these courses, contact Lauren McAnna - Training and Development Co-ordinator: