We want to ensure that everyone living with dementia and their family, friends and carers can engage in walking. Through our Dementia Friendly Walking project we are providing training, funding and support to make the Walking for Health network dementia friendly. We are also working to raise awareness about the benefits of walking for people living with dementia.
All of the projects that we support through this project will receive a Dementia Friendly Walking accreditation. The accreditation recognises the positive changes put in place by Walking for Health projects to make their walks accessible to people living with dementia.
This project is funded by the Life Changes Trust, whose mission is to drive transformational improvements in the quality of life, well-being, empowerment and inclusion of people living with dementia in Scotland.
Through the Dementia Friendly Project we will:
- Develop the existing walking for health network to make walking more accessible to people living with dementia
- Help raise awareness of the benefits of walking to people living with dementia
- Work with over 20 projects over 3 years to support them to become dementia friendly walking projects
- Develop training, resources and sharing of good practice with partners and projects
- Ensure we become a dementia friendly organisation
- Develop strong communication plans and link in with policies
We are currently supporting the following Walking for Health projects in Edinburgh:
- Ageing Well, Edinburgh Leisure
- Edinburgh and Lothians Greenspace Trust
Please see https://www.pathsforall.org.uk/pfa/health-walks/dementia-friendly-walking.html for Dementia Friendly Walking Projects.
There ae currently 3 Dementia Friendly Walking Projects in Edinburgh.
As well as developing dementia friendly walks, projects are also working with local befriending services, creating sensory exhibitions and gardens, and developing walking football sessions.
For more information about the project or to subscribe to our Dementia Friendly Walking newsletter email: Dementiafriendly@pathsforall.org.uk or call 01259 230 152.