The EVOC Red Book

The online directory to find third sector Organisations, and their services across Edinburgh


Directory of local groups/projects who are offering specific support during the current COVID-19 pandemic »

In line with Government advice, most groups and organisations in the city have had to take the unfortunate decision to suspend face to face and group work activities. Please telephone or email the contacts listed for the group or organisation if you are interested in their work to check what alternative arrangements might be available or to find out about alternative groups or services in your area.

The retirement developments are specifically designed for people aged over 60, although applications from younger people will be considered where their health or other circumstances would be improved by living in retirement housing.

Main facts

- Retirement housing
- Built in 1987
- 64 flats, bungalows
- Sizes 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom
- Includes mobility and wheelchair standard properties
- On site concierge services, site manager and community alarm service
- Lounge, dining room, laundry, garden
- New residents accepted from 60 years of age
- Both cats & dogs generally accepted
- Rent (social landlord)

Access to site fairly easy, but less so for less mobile people. Distances: bus stop 0.5 mile(s); shop 0.5 mile(s); post office 0.5 mile(s); town centre 3 mile(s)

Regular social activities including a lunch club.


How are the retirement housing estates managed?

Each of the developments is staffed by a Retirement Housing Manager between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Thursday and 9:00am and 3:30pm on a Friday. In summary, the manager’s role is to ensure that all tenants receive excellent tenancy management and property maintenance services in respect of the provision of their home and that all the community facilities offer a welcoming, secure and comfortable environment. They will also help tenant to access whatever type of support they require by signposting to other agencies. The manager also plays a crucial role in helping the tenants organise social activities.

Is there an out of hour’s service provision for retirement housing estates?

Yes. The Community Alarm and Telecare Service (CATS) currently provide the emergency response service out of hours.

This service includes:

- 24 hour emergency response. Where required, CATS will attend and deal with any emergencies along with.
- Daily inactivity monitoring.
- CATS can also offer enhanced services to tenants who require it, for example, specialist equipment or additional monitoring for tenants who are prone to falls.

In all the developments, accommodation is self-contained with all facilities required for independent living. The properties are equipped with emergency pull-cords in every room, which can be used to alert CATS, should the tenant require assistance. There is also a system of activity monitoring, which would alert CATS if someone has not been up and about.

Who is the manager service at retirement housing complexes supplied by?

The manager service is provided by staff employed by Manor Estates Housing Association.

Is there a communal area in our retirement housing estates?

Yes, including a centre where a range of social activities take place.

How Do I Apply?

Manor Estates Housing Association participates in EdIndex, Edinburgh’s common housing register.

The first thing you need to do is complete an EdIndex application form. Application forms are available from our office, any City of Edinburgh Council office or from any other housing association office.

Completed forms can also be returned to any of these offices.

You must be registered with EdIndex to be able to be considered for vacancies.

Your application will be categorised as a ‘Starter’ if you are:

- Homeless;
- Staying with a friend or relative
- Staying in a hostel
- Staying in supported accommodation
- Having a relationship breakdown
- Renting a house or flat from a private landlord

Your application will be categorised as a ‘Mover’ if you are:

- A Council tenant
- A tenant of a housing association or housing co-operative
- Part of a joint tenancy with the Council or a housing association
- A tenant of tied accommodation that is provided by your employer
- An owner-occupier

What do I Do Next?

Empty properties are advertised:

- In the Monday edition of Edinburgh Evening News
- In a free publication available from our office
- On the Key to Choice website

Adverts give full details of the property, including the number of rooms, where it is, the amount of rent and if there are any particular restrictions about who can apply.

You can submit bids for up to 3 advertised vacancies each week.

How Do I Submit a Bid?

Once you have seen a property you are interested in, there are a number of ways you can submit a bid:

- Online via the Key to Choice website
- Telephone the Council on 0131 529 5080
- Complete the form in the free publication and post it to the Council

If you are not sure how to bid, you can contact our office for assistance – however we cannot accept paper bids on your behalf.

What Happens Next?

We will run a shortlist of applicants after the closing date – and will contact you if you have been successful. If the property is allocated to someone else, we will not contact you directly.

Advice and Assistance

If you require any additional advice or assistance about how to apply for housing, please contact the office.
65+, 60 - 64
Days and Times
Firrhill Drive, Oxgangs
EH13 9QU

North East  North West  South East  South West 
Contact Details
Contact Telephone: 0800 093 8823 / 0131 337 3222
Contact Email:
Categories of Services

This record was last modified on: 12 November 2018