The EVOC Red Book

The online directory to find third sector Organisations, and their services across Edinburgh


Directory of local groups/projects who are offering specific support during the current COVID-19 pandemic »

In line with Government advice, most groups and organisations in the city have had to take the unfortunate decision to suspend face to face and group work activities. Please telephone or email the contacts listed for the group or organisation if you are interested in their work to check what alternative arrangements might be available or to find out about alternative groups or services in your area.

What is the Patient Advice and Support Service?

The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is part of the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Service.

PASS is an independent service which provides free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare.

The Patient Advice and Support Service is delivered by local Citizens Advice Bureau. This means - that as well as helping you with an NHS complaint or concern - our trained advisers can also give you information, advice and support on just about anything.

Lots of problems such as debt, employment, housing and legal difficulties – whether big or small – can affect your health and well-being, not just those relating to healthcare and treatment.

What can the Service help me with?

The Patient Advice and Support Service can:

- Provide you with information, advice and support if you want to give feedback or comments, or raise concerns or complaints, about healthcare provided by NHS Scotland;

- Explain the NHS complaints procedure and provide the information and advice necessary to enable you to make a complaint;

- Provide practical assistance in the preparation of letters, making phone calls and supporting you in preparing for and attending meetings;

- Help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a patient;

- Assist you to access medical records, and provide practical help with obtaining clinical records and understanding these;

- Work with the National Health Service (NHS) in Scotland to improve healthcare provision – work that can be done because of the feedback you provide;

- Independent information, advice and support if you want to give feedback or comments, or raise concerns or complaints, about your NHS care or treatment.

You can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland. Your CAB adviser will refer you to a Patient Adviser if it is appropriate, who can provide specialist help or support regarding the NHS in Scotland.
All ages
Days and Times
Fountainbridge Library, 137 Dundee Street, Fountainbridge
EH11 1BG

South West 
Contact Details
Contact Telephone: 0131 510 5510 / 0131 474 8081

This record was last modified on: 01 December 2017