Thinking of rehoming? You’ve come to the right place. The decision to rehome a pet is a life-changing one for you and your family, and Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home’s animal experts are on hand to answer any questions you may have and help you meet your perfect match. Read through the sections below to find out more about our rehoming process. Please note, in order to comply with government guidelines and social distancing measures, we have changed our rehoming process.
We can no longer accommodate walk-in rehoming viewings or applications. All initial rehoming enquiries must be carried out via our online interest form. We kindly request that you have a look at the animals available on our website and app and read their information carefully before registering your interest.
During phase one of the Scottish Government Route Map, only those living within a one hour drive of our centre will be welcome to register interest, as we cannot allow or encourage unnecessary travel from too far away. Once the First Minister announces we have moved to phase two and can travel a bit further afield, we may welcome applications from further afield.
Found a Match?
Registering your interest: Have you identified a pet on our website or app that you’re interested in? Fill in the rehoming interest form which can be found below and a member of our team will review the information you provided and let you know if we think you may be a match for your chosen pet. If so, we will arrange for someone from our rehoming team to call you in order to fill in an application over the phone. Your application may need to be reviewed by a senior member of the team.
If we feel there is a strong chance of a match you will be invited to make an interview appointment. Interviews will take place on site with a member of our rehoming team. They will go over your application with you and ask any additional questions they feel necessary. If you both agree that the pet of your choosing is a good match, you will be introduced to the dog or cat.
Things to Consider
- How will the local and global changes of the pandemic affect my ability to look after a pet long term?
- What effect will the new pet have on our lives?
- What changes will we need to make to our current lifestyle in order to welcome a pet into our family?
- A new pet needs company — do we have the time to spend with them and look after them?
- Can we afford the food, training, vet fees and pet insurance?
- Who will look after the pet while we are on holiday?
- If we decide to rehome a dog, what size or type of dog would suit our circumstances best?
- Dogs need to be walked at least twice a day, whatever the weather. Are we happy to do this?
- Do we have the time and the patience to train our new pet and help them settle into their new home?
Cats available for re-homing...
Please see https://edch.org.uk/rehome/rehome-a-cat.
Register your interest...
Please see https://edch.org.uk/rehome/how-to-rehome.
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home is carrying out our rehoming interest and applications online, we will not be able to process any interest registrations in person.