Street Legal is an innovative partnership between Clan Childlaw and Shelter Scotland. Combining the expertise of both organisations, the project provides free legal advice and representation to young people aged 16 - 25 or families with children up to the age of 18 who are either experiencing, or at risk of homelessness in Edinburgh.
This new partnership comes after a three years pilot project that was devised in response to our recognition that young people we were working with were struggling to have their housing rights recognised and were becoming homeless or staying in precarious accommodation as a result.
The Street Legal project is the innovative combination of Clan Childlaw's legal expertise regarding the rights of children and Shelter Scotland's ability to engage with families with children who may be at risk of homelessness or not having their housing rights recognised.
We provide both direct advice and representation to clients. We provide specialist legal training, support and guidance to colleagues from other agencies with a focus on the legal rights of young people within the housing system and how they can be recognised and enforced.
Ways in which we can help
- If you are young person aged 16-25 and you are homeless or facing homelessness
- If you are in a family with a child up to the age of 18 that is homeless or facing homelessness
- We can provide legal advice and representation if needed.
- You are facing eviction from your tenancy
- You have been evicted from your accommodation and are sofa surfing (staying with friends or family on a temporary basis) or you are sleeping rough
- If you have any questions about your housing or accommodation rights.
- If you are supporting a young person or family in the above situation, we can provide you with legal advice to assist with your advocacy for them.
We provide training on the housing rights of young people to those who are working with them. This means that workers are trained to recognise when there may be a legal issue that needs addressing, and contact us for advice when needed.
Housing Law Advice Online Course...
A SQA accredited Professional Development Award Level 7 on Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF.
We have several places remaining for the October 2020 intake, please contact email@example.com to book a place. 1 place available per organisation.
Due to COVID-19, we are currently delivering these online. We delivered our first workshop "Standards in temporary accommodation (including the impact of COVID-19) in early July and have organised the following:
Defending evictions - private tenancies, course date 29/10/20.
Get in touch
If you would like help, advice or training from Street Legal, or would like more information about the project, please contact Parisa Shirazi (Project Coordinator).