Members are currently being offered one to one telephone support and/or group support through digital platforms.
We are accepting new referrals for this service, if you would like more information please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.
Normal service details...
The Broomhouse Youth Befriending Project recruits, trains and supports volunteer Befrienders for young people affected by parental substance misuse aged 5-16 years.
The project was established in 2002 and we help up to 40 children and young people in a year period.
At present we have a waiting list of children and young people in need of support. Children and young people are referred by social workers, head teachers, police, housing department and/or various health professionals.
Parental substance misuse can impact on young people in many ways such as:
- Being bullied
- Lack of supportive adults within the family
- Concern for the young person's physical, emotional, educational or social welfare
- Not coping within the school setting
- Abuse or neglect
Aims and Objectives
BYBP aims to improve the lives of children and young people affected by parental drug and/or alcohol use in the South West Edinburgh area.
Our key objectives are to:
- Offer young people the opportunity to engage in a trusting, supportive relationship with a reliable, consistent adult
- Provide young people with a positive role model
- Enable young people to do things they would not normally do on their own
- Improve life opportunities and enable young people to make positive life choices
- Encourage young people to engage in positive use of their leisure time
Outcomes we hope for include:
- Young people are moved on to a positive destination
- Improved skills to enable young people to cope better at home
- Increased knowledge of the issues surrounding substance misuse
- Improve support for children looked after at home
- Improved self confidence
- Growth of self-esteem
- Improved relationships with family and friends
- Improved attendance at school
- Increased social activity in the community
- Improved quality of life
For further information, to refer a young person or to find our more about volunteering, please get in touch for a chat.