Dr Bell’s is a welcoming place where families with young children can get encouragement, support and advice in a relaxed environment.
Leith is an area where people of many cultures live, and everyone is welcome at Dr Bell’s. We all have a shared agenda – the welfare of children.
Dr Bell’s provides a range of support services and facilities for local families. These include:
- An award-winning community café with free Wi-Fi
- A Drop-in crèche with regular crèche spaces for vulnerable families
- Employment advice and access to training and learning opportunities
- Parent support, counselling, trauma therapy, therapeutic play, and health and well-being appointments
- Cookery classes, affordable room hire, and volunteering opportunities
- Free access to computers (with full MS Office 2010 suite) and the internet
- A summer programme for local families
- Rooms available for hire
Dr Bell’s Family Centre was set up as a partnership between local people, Edinburgh City Council, and NHS Lothian, and grew from a community vision. A need was perceived for support for families with young children, and the determination of local people and local agencies made the dream into a reality. Dr. Bell’s Family Centre opened in August 2006, following a five year period of development.
Our services are for everyone, but we seek to focus on the most disadvantaged.